Puslapio vaizdai


1. To the President of the Council.

Volo, March 1, 1878. IT appears that Mr. Ogle has been assassinated as he was 1eturning from Macrinitza to Panochoi, in Volo.

2. To the Minister for Foreign Affairs.


Volo, March 9, 1878. The "Times" correspondent, Mr. Ogle, has been killed by the Turks at Macrinitza.

The Turks have not produced his passport until to-day. To-morrow I shall take the necessary steps for the conveyance of the body.

Inclosure 4 in No. 20.

M. Zioti to M. Delyanni.

(Traduction.) (Extrait.)


Volo, le 20 Mars, 1878. JE vous ai déjà donné hier la triste nouvelle de la mort du correspondant du "Times," Mr. Ogle. Jeudi soir il partit de Volo, sans armes, pour se rendre à Macrinitza, où le premier engagement avait lieu à cette heure. Le lendemain après le combat et la retraite des insurgés, on le vit dans le village de Sortaria, et plus tard à Catochori; ces deux villages étaient occupés par les Turcs.

Hier (Dimanche) dans l'après-midi, les chefs Ottomans de Macrinitza envoyèrent à l'Amiral le passeport d'Ogle; ils lui notifièrent aussi qu'on avait trouvé le cadavre à Macrinitza avec un fusil entre les bras. Cette nouvelle a été portée par l'Amiral à la connaissance du Vice-Consul d'Italie, gérant aussi le ViceConsulat d'Angleterre, et télégraphiée en même temps par Hobart Pacha, et par le correspondant du "Times," qui se trouve à bord du vaisseau Amiral. Le correspondant du "Standard," Mr. Fitzgerald, qui se trouve ici, a dû aussi transmettre cette nouvelle par le télégraphe, vu que notre bureau télégraphique subit la censure de l'Amiral, qui ne laisse passer que les dépêches à son gré. Mais Mr. Fitzgerald a eu soin de transmettre aussi, voie de Surpi, la seule véridique édition de la nouvelle. Je n'ai aucun doute que Mr. Ogle a été assassiné; on croit même que c'est Amouss Aga qui a préparé le coup, voulant se venger des vertes remontrances, que le correspondant du "Times" avait adressées, quelques jours auparavant, à ce chef d'irréguliers, pour le massacre de Voulgarini. Son cadavre a été trouvé à Macrinitza; ainsi faut-il admettre qu'il a été tué sur place, ou que son cadavre y a été transporté par les Turcs, lesquels, comme je le disais plus haut, n'ébruitèrent le fait qu'hier au soir, quoiqu'ils fussent officiellement interrogé, par les Consuls, depuis le soir de Vendredi.



March 20 1878.

Volo, April

[ocr errors]

I CONVEYED to you yesterday the sad news of the death of Mr. Ogle, correspondent of the "Times." On Thursday evening he left Volo, unarmed, for Macrinitza, where the first engagement was then actually taking place. The following day, subsequently to the battle and the retreat of the insurgents, he was seen in the village of Sorturia, and later on in Catochori, both villages being occupied by the Turks.

Yesterday (Sunday), in the afternoon, the Ottoman Chiefs of Macrinitza sent Ogle's passport to the Admiral, informing him at the same time that they had discovered his corpse, gun in hand, at Macrinitza.

This news was brought by the Admiral to the knowledge of the Italian ViceConsul, who was also in charge of the British Consulate, and telegraphed at the same time by Hobart Pasha and by the "Times" correspondent, who were on board the Admiral's vessel. The correspondent of the "Standard," Mr. Fitzgerald, who was on the spot, must have transmitted the news by telegraph, for our telegraph-office was censured in consequence by the Admiral, who only permits the

transmission of such despatches as he chooses. But Mr. Fitzgerald took care to send at the same time, by way of Surpri, the only authentic edition of the news. I have no doubt that Mr. Ogle was assassinated; it is even believed that it was Amouss Aga who planned the attack, thirsting to revenge himself for the bitter remonstrances which the "Times" correspondent had addressed a few days before to this Chief of the irregulars on account of the massacre of Voulgarini. His corpse was found at Macrinitza; it must be admitted, either that he was murdered on the spot, or that his body was carried thither by the Turks, who, as I observed above, did not publish the news of the transaction until yesterday evening, although they had been officially interrogated by the Consuls since Friday evening.

No. 21.

Mr. Wyndham to the Marquis of Salisbury.-(Received April 12.)

My Lord, Athens, April 2, 1878. WITH reference to my despatches reporting the death of Mr. Ogle, correspondent to the "Times," I have the honour to report that M. Delyanni, Minister for Foreign Affairs, called upon me to-day, and begged me to take steps to have Mr. Ogle's remains brought to Athens for interment with military honours, to which he was entitled as a member of the Greek order of the " Saviour."

I replied that I thought the first persons who should be consulted as to where Mr. Ogle was to be interred were his parents, with whom M. Tricoupi was in communication, and that, moreover, I could not interfere with any arrangements which the British Consular Agent at Volo, who was not under my orders, might have made consequent upon the death of a British subject in Turkey.

The object in having the funeral at Athens is no doubt with a view of making a demonstration in honour of one who is said to have fallen in the cause of Hellenism, and which, in the present excited state of the public in Greece, I think most undesirable.

[blocks in formation]

My Lord,

Mr. Wyndham to the Marquis of Salisbury.-(Received April 12.)

Athens, April 3, 1878.

I HAVE the honour to report to your Lordship that M. Tricoupi informed me to-day that he had received a telegram from the Greek Vice-Consul at Volo, which states that it is impossible to find Mr. Ogle's remains, and that it appears that they have been cut up in a manner to render their discovery a matter of impossibility; that the Turk who possesses his passport says that he found it on a dead body, but he will not state where. The Greek Vice-Consul concludes his telegram by stating that terrorism prevails, and that nothing less than a Commission, accompanied by force, can ascertain the particulars of Mr. Ogle's death.

I have, &c.


No. 23.

Mr. Wyndham to the Marquis of Salisbury.—(Received April 12.)

My Lord, Athens, April 3, 1878. WITH reference to my despatch of to-day's date, I have the honour to inclose herewith to your Lordship a translation of a telegram which M. Tricoupi received to-day from M. Zioti, Greek Vice-Consul at Volo, which states that it is impossible to discover Mr. Ogle's remains.

M. Tricoupi, who was intimately acquainted with Mr. Ogle, has, through the editor of the "Times," very kindly communicated with his family, and they have

expressed a wish that he should be buried at Athens; they had, of course, then no idea that there would be any difficulty in finding his remains.

Mr. Ogle's death has created a feeling of much grief in Athens, where he was well known, and has caused at the same time much excitement.

[blocks in formation]


M. Zioti to M. Tricoupi.

Volo, via Sourpi, April 2, 1878.

AFTER two days' search it has been impossible to find Ogle's remains. assured that about 4 o'clock P.M. after the battle he passed through Portaria and below Catochorion, coming to the town. It appears that he has been butchered and cut up in a way rendering impossible the discovery of his body. We are all actively continuing our search. The Turk possessing his passport said he found it on a dea body, but nobody can force him to define place it was found, terrorism continuing to prevail everywhere. Nothing less than the presence of a Commission accompanied by force can ascertain particulars.


No. 24.

The Marquis of Salisbury to Mr. Wyndham.

Foreign Office, April 12, 1878, 4 P.M. LET me hear by telegraph whether Mr. Ogle's head has been found, and whether it has been buried with the body.

No. 25.

Lord Tenterden to Mr. Ogle.


Foreign Office, April 12, 1878.

IN reply to your letter of the 10th instant, I am directed by the Marquis of Salisbury to state to you that instructions have been given to Her Majesty's Chargé d'Affaires at Athens to report home by telegraph whether the head, which it is saidwas severed from the body of your son, has been discovered, and whether it has been interred in the same grave with the body.

I am to add that any information which may be received at the Foreign Office upon this point shall be at once communicated to you.

I am, &c.

[blocks in formation]

Mr. Wyndham to the Marquis of Salisbury.-(Received April 13.)


Athens, April 13, 1878. MR. OGLE'S remains were buried without the head, and I have not heard that it has been found.

[blocks in formation]

Foreign Office, April 13, 1878

WITH reference to my letter of yesterday's date, I am directed by the Marquis of Salisbury to acquaint you that a telegram has been received this morning

from Mr. Wyndham at Athens, in which he states that the remains of your son have been interred without the head, and that no intelligence had reached him of its having been found.

Lord Salisbury wishes me at the same time to assure you of his sincere sympathy for yourself and the members of your family in the misfortune by which they have been visited.

I am, &c. (Signed) TENTERDEN.

No. 28.

My Lord,

Mr. Layard to the Marquis of Salisbury.-(Received April 19.)

Constantinople, April 9, 1878. AS soon as I heard from Mr. Wyndham that Mr. Ogle, the "Times'" correspondent, had been killed near Volo, I took such measures as were in my power to obtain full information on the subject. I telegraphed to Hobart Pasha, who is in command of the Turkish squadron off the coast of Thessaly, and requested him to have inquiries made on the subject, and to inform me of the result. I instructed Consul Barker in the same sense. The Prime Minister, to whom I also spoke on the matter, at once sent the most stringent orders to the authorities at Volo to give. every facility for a full investigation. I have received two telegrams from Hobart Pasha, who appears to think that Mr. Ogle was killed during the attack on Macrinitza, and that the Europeans and Greek sympathizers at Volo are endeavouring to give a very exaggerated version of the circumstances connected with the unfortunate gentleman's death.

I have seen an English gentleman well known here, who is just arrived from Volo. He states to me that Mr. Ogle had been killed as he was taking an active part with the insurgents, and was in the habit of exposing himself to great danger by going backwards and forwards between Volo and the villages occupied by them. He had been frequently warned not to do so. It was reported that during the attack on Macrinitza, he was seen in an advanced position, and that a Turkish officer, recognizing him as an Englishman, restrained his men from firing upon him.

I have not yet received any report from Vice-Consul Suter or Consul Barker, which could enable me to form an opinion with regard to the circumstances connected with Mr. Ogle's death. I cannot, therefore, say whether it will be necessary for me to take any action in the matter. Representations have been frequently made to me by the Porte with regard to Mr. Ogle, who was accused of being an active agent of the revolutionary Committees at Athens, and an ardent promoter of the insurrection. I was requested to remove him from Thessaly, which, I informed the Porte, it was not in my power to do. I suggested that if there were any serious complaints against him, and he was fomnd to be mixing himself up to the insurrection, it was for the Porte to take proper steps in the matter. He is referred to by name in the letter addressed by Basdekis, the Chief of the insurgents on Mount Pelion, to the Consular Agents at Volo on the 24th February (o.s.) as being with them.

Since writing the above, I have heard that Mr. Ogle's body was found with the head severed from it, and that he is believed to have been decapitated after his death by Albanians. Under these circumstances, I have suggested to the Prime Minister that a Turkish and British Commissioner should be named, to make inquiries into the circumstances of Mr. Ogle's death, on the spot. Ahmed Vefyk Pasha at once assented to my request. He will, he promises me, name a person as Turkish Commissioner upon whom full dependence can be placed, and I have asked Consul Blunt, who is now here, and who is in every way most competent to conduct the inquiry, to proceed to Volo to act as British Commissioner. He will leave tomorrow to join the "Ruby" at the Dardanelles, Admiral Hornby having kindly consented to allow that vessel to take him to the coast of Thessaly. Should the statement that Mr. Ogle's head was cut off prove to be correct, Ahmed Vefyk Pasha has given me the most formal assurance that every effort will be made to find the perpetrator of the outrage, and that if he is discovered he will receive condign punishment.

I have, &c.

[blocks in formation]

P.S.-I have the honour to inclose a copy of the instructions I have addressed to Mr. Blunt.

Inclosure in No. 28.

A. H. L.


Mr. Layard to Consul Blunt.

Constantinople, April 10, 1878. I HAVE to request you to proceed to Volo to make inquiries in conjunction with a Commissioner to be appointed by the Porte, but whose name has not yet been communicated to me, into the circumstances connected with the death of Mr. Ogle, a correspondent of the "Times" newspaper, who is alleged to have been killed when with the insurgents at Macrinitza, during the attack of the Turkish troops on that village. It has been stated that after his death his body was mutilated. I have to instruct you to ascertain whether such was the case, and if possible, who were the authors of this barbarous outrage. The Porte has assured me that if they are discovered, they will be punished with condign severity, and you will endeavour to have that promise carried out. You will report to me fully on the whole case, taking care to obtain trustworthy evidence upon the subject.

I should be glad to receive from you the fullest and most accurate information you can obtain whilst at Volo, and in the neighbourhood, as to the present state of affairs in Thessaly, the progress made by the insurrection, the attitude of the native Christian population, and the conduct of the Turkish troops, regular and irregular, and of the armed bands that have entered the Province from Greece. It is important to ascertain the truth of the statements which have been made by the Greek Government, and in the public press of Europe, with reference to excesses and outrages attributed to the Albanians and other irregulars employed by the Turkish Government.

You will proceed to the Dardanelles, from where Her Majesty's ship "Ruby will convey you to Volo. Should you find that the inquiry with which you are entrusted can be speedily brought to an end, you can request the Commander of that vessel to wait until it is completed, to bring you back to the Dardanelles, but should you have reason to believe that it will occupy some time, you will not detain. the "Ruby," but find other means of returning to Constantinople.

I am, &c. (Signed)


No. 29.

Mr. Wyndham to the Marquis of Salisbury.-(Received April 19.)

My Lord, Athens, April 11, 1878. WITH reference to my despatch of the 9th instant, and to previous despatches respecting the death of Mr. Ogle, "Times'" correspondent in Thessaly, I have the honour to inclose herewith to your Lordship, copies of documents which have been kindly communicated to me by M. Delyanni, Minister for Foreign Affairs.

I beg to call your Lordship's particular attention to the report of M. Streit, a Professor of Law at the University of Athens, who had been sent to Volo for the purpose of endeavouring to bring about a cessation of hostilities between the insurgents and the Turks.

M. Streit's report tends to prove that Mr. Ogle was certainly not killed while fighting with the insurgents, as the Turkish authorities have endeavoured to make out. M. Streit appears to have spared no pains to elicit the truth as to Mr. Ogle's death.

Mr. Ogle's funeral took place yesterday in Athens. The President of the Council of Ministers, and some other Members of the Cabinet, the Members of the Holy Synod, an "Officier d'Ordonnance" of His Majesty the King, the Mayors of Athens and of the Piræus, and a vast concourse of people of all classes attended it, and all the shops throughout the town were closed as a mark of respect.

I followed the body to the cemetery with the members fo Her Majesty's Lega-.

« AnkstesnisTęsti »